Clearing my head

Yesterday one of my very special friends took me down to one of my favorite parks, put me in a kayak, showed me how to paddle it, and shoved me off into the wild blue yonder.
The weather was stunningly beautiful, the water was glass-calm, and the experience was magical. I was out paddling for nearly an hour when I realized that I wasn't thinking about any of the stressors I have going on in my life right now, all I was thinking about was 'wow - what an amazing experience!'
I paddled upstream a ways, saw lots of ducks, a beaver, several Great Blue Herons and also several Great Egrets all doing their thing out there.

Herons are a skittish bunch, and I know from experience that they don't like to have round things pointed at them. I stopped paddling and just drifted with the slow current, as still as I could be while trying to capture images with my little point-and-shoot. The heron watched me the whole time and when I got too close, he took to the air again, squawking like a pterodactyl, to find another, more private perch.

The white dot on the snag is a Great Egret. Also very skittish about being photographed, or even sighted in on... next time I'll take a higher-res camera and a long lens. I don't expect it will help me get any closer to them, but I may be able to capture some higher-quality images to share with you.

Amazingly, this was my first experience in a kayak, and now I'm hooked! I'm looking for a kayak of my very own, preferrably one that will accomodate my sweet doggie too. I think she'd have a great time out there with me.

Reminder - time is getting short to get your Sweetheart Portraits done... call me today to set up your private session!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marshmallow farm?

Road Trip! Part Seven: The Rocky Mountains

Agate Windows