Seriously...

Caution: Rant

You know, I really have a strong dislike for Valentines Day anymore. Not so much the day itself or the things it stands for, but the way our society and the media have come to portray it as an obligation to purchase gifts.

I had the tv on this morning while I was getting ready for work and must have heard 'Valentines Day' a hundred times in an hour. Holy cow. Talk about shoving it down our throats. Isn't there anything more important to talk about on the morning news shows??

This is the message I get: If you are married and/or in a committed relationship, you can expect to feel obligated to purchase diamond jewelry and/or candy and/or flowers just because the media says you have to. I say bunk!

I heard a radio commercial the other day where the announcer actually said, you have to buy flowers for your Valentine because "she expects it". Well duh. Of course she does. Because every media is filled with advertising for things you HAVE to buy for your sweetie. Yikes.

So. Say you're a single woman. Oh, like me for instance. Single because you WANT to be. Single because you prefer it that way. According to the media, people like me have no more value than the pile of dog poo on the lawn. Because I don't have a 'partner'. Yikes.

On MSN: "Enjoy Valentines Day Even if You're Single." Seriously?? Because I'm single, I'm worthless? Oh please.

I actually think I'm one of the lucky ones, having no obligations or expectations of this particular day. If I give a gift, it is from my heart, not because I feel like I have to. If I receive a gift, I certainly hope it comes from the heart and not from a feeling of obligation.

I had an interesting conversation with my friend Martha the other day about gift giving and receiving. We both learned some things about ourselves, which is what good conversations are all about. One of the things I have become aware of over the years is that if you feel obligated to give a gift (or even so much as a greeting card), that - to me - negates the entire spirit of the giving. Giving, to me, is something from the heart which is more spur of the moment, out of the blue and unexpected. And I certainly prefer the gifts I receive to be in the same spirit. Not because the various industries and media tell you or me that we HAVE TO. Yikes.

Don't even get me started on Christmas.

Ok. End of rant. :) Happy Valentines Day. I hope you get everything you expect. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road Trip! Part Seven: The Rocky Mountains

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Agate Windows